Sunday, August 10, 2014

Happy 15th Birthday McKay!

One year. I repeat: One year. That is all we have left until this dude is driving a car and is date eligible.  Good thing we have a whole year to worry about it!  In the mean time McKay is celebrating being 1--including studying for the drivers test so he can receive his learner's permit.

We celebrated McKay birthday and Grandma and Grandpa's house first.  Nothing says "Happy birthday!" more that a double photo bomb.  Jaxon photo bombed McKay and Grandpa Haacke photo bombed Jaxon.

We traveled up to Idaho Falls the weekend of McKay's birthday (which landed on a Sunday this year) for his cousins' farewell.  Samantha is serving a mission in Taiwan and Bryan is serving in the Philippines.  Their farewell was the same day as McKay's birthday.  We still were able to celebrate by singing to him and having birthday cupcakes from a local bakery.

Back at home later that night McKay was all set for presents.

The traditional bonking on the head from his brother Kayden.....

....and his brother Josh.

15 Things We Love About McKay
  1. He loves his brothers.  Even though he is a big tease and drives them crazy at times.  When it comes right down to it he loves them and watches out for them.
  2. His desire to do his best.  He has set some lofty goals for school and in other areas in his life.  
  3. He does what is asked of him.  Now, he is not the perfect teenager.  But most of the time he willing does what he is asked to do.
  4. He loves to participate in athletics.  It is currently football season.  He is very dedicated to his team.  He is looking forward to basketball season.
  5. His love for reading.  I love to discuss books with him.  He is the one kid I don't mind buying books for because I know he will read them.
  6. He is proud of of his whiskers.  He makes me laugh with the talk of his facial hair.
  7. He is 6'2" and super proud of it.  I wonder how much more he will grow.  It is starting to become difficult finding him pants that are long enough!
  8. He lets me know that he like my cooking.  
  9. I love that he is taking a variety of classes at school.  He enjoys his cooking class, tech class and especially his Spanish class.  He isn't loving his AP Geography class though.
  10. McKay loves Studio C.  He really likes watching it together as a family.  I love listening to McKay laugh (and the rest of the family) laugh through the sketches.
  11. Parker is his best friend.  They are only a couple of weeks apart in age and have way too much in common.  I am thankful McKay has good friends.
  12. McKay loves to bake.  Well, he loves to make cookie dough and eat it.  He will then bake what is left--which sometimes isn't much.
  13. He received his Eagle Scout award this year!  Man he worked hard to receive that and I couldn't be prouder that he is an Eagle Scout.
  14. He wants to do what is right and follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
  15. He attended EFY this year and learned a lot!  He even learned that it is ok to interact with girls.  As we left the parking lot down at BYU, I heard words that I thought I would never hear: "Hey!  I danced with that girl over there!"
Happy birthday McKay!  I am so proud to be your mom.  Thank you for being my boy and for being a great example to your brothers.  Love you lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment