Sunday, December 3, 2017

9 Broken Ribs

My dad gave us a scare the day after Thanksgiving by breaking 9 of his ribs while trying to fix the Christmas lights on the house. Long story short, his ladder slipped out from under him and he took a spill onto the hard cement and also the ladder that was under him.  I spent a good deal of time at the hospital sitting with him and the rest of my family for a week.  It was definitely something that brought us all close together--and not just in a physical sense.

My kids weren't able to visit much since my dad was in the ICU for a few days and the kids had school. Kayden wrote him a get well soon note and made sure that I would take a picture of Grandpa reading it so that he would know Grandpa was ok.

I was grateful for all the tender mercies that were put in my path that week.  This was a beautiful sunrise one morning.  I was busy getting the kids out the door for school and getting ready to go to the hospital when I stopped and saw the sunrise.  God is real.

 My sister Caprice flew in from New Jersey just in time for my dad to go to surgery to repair 8 out of his 9 breaks.  She passed chocolate peanut clusters around the surgery waiting room.  My mom, my sister Juli and I all just giggled as she did so.  I think there were some pretty grateful people there to lighten spirits with chocolate!  My brother Paul came down from Idaho for a couple of days after his operation as well.

My dad post-op giving us the thumbs up.  Again, my kids wanted proof that he was going to be ok.  It was a scary time, but he will make a full recovery.  So thankful my family could all be here to help out and to support each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment