Saturday, May 29, 2010

Timpanogos Cave Field Trip by McKay

On Wednesday during the last week of school we hiked to Timp Cave. Timp Cave is actually three separate caves. They are, in order, Hansen Cave, Middle Cave, and Timp Cave, they are connected by man made tunnels. By the way this is McKay White blogging again and I was very deeply disappointing that my science and social studies teacher, Mr.Larson was sick. My excuse for my bad smile is that there was a super, ultra, mega smelly porta-poddy.


This is a picture of the mountain on the other side. We were about 7/8 of the way done at this point.


At some points on the trail there were spots were it was sure death if you fell. So I recommend that kids 5 and under shouldn't do the hike because they would either die or complain to much.


This is me in front of a, what I think, is a awesome land scape. You can see American Fork in the back ground.


This is my group at the entrance to the cave. They are Cami, Adley, Jayden, Josh, Kimberlee, Abby, Abby's dad, me of course, Wyatt, Cheyenne, Terrel, Sam, Brady, Mr. Germaine, Olivia, Myalin, Sabrina, Hannah, and Savannah. My mom is taking the picture.


Finally we enter the cave. This is one of the Carmel falls.


I don't know if you can see it or not, but there is a fossil in the lime stone in this picture.


This is a picture of Middle Cave Lake. It was either a boring photo or this window photo that was cooler. It has spikes coming down.


This is a photo of me before they turned off the lights. Your eyes would never adjust because it is pure darkness.


These are "curly fries" formations. No one knows how they formed, except the part that they used to be "soda straws" formations. There are only 2 caves in the entire U.S.A that have thousands of "curly fries". One is Timp Cave and the other cave is owned by a farmer in Texas.


This is the heart of Timpanogos Cave. Our tour guide did a stupendous job on the tour. He even told us the legend of the heart! It went something like this: a Indian women fell in love with a man from a separate tribe that she was not supposed to be in love with. So they went in to the mountains. After a while the man was attacked by a bear. The women realized that she had been cursed by the gods, and that she had brought the curse upon her loved one, so she threw her self off a cliff. Her loved one was so sad that he did the same. The gods took the woman's heart and man's heart that were melted into one and placed as one in this cave. They say that her body still lay there were she made contact with the ground. You can still see her silhouette on the top of Mount Timpanogos.


This is the second Carmel Falls. At the Bottom is Chocolate Falls.


This is what I think, again, is a neat cave formation.


If you were to look at this in real life it would look similar to one of the halves of the Titanic.


I was looking around trying to find out how to spell Timpanogos and I found this:
P.S. I found out how to spell it.

5 comments:

  1. I don't want to die or complain, so I'll just look at your pictures rather than hike it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKay. . .I think you have a promising career ahead as a journalist. Good work.

    As for your comment, Juli, as one who is a Cross Fit junkie, you have earned the right to complain as you voluntarily place yourself on the brink of death. I'm pretty sure you would handle the hike to the caves with ease. I'd love to do it with you when you're here the next few weeks. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. McKay, I predict you could have a promising career as a journalist--well done!

    Juli, as a CrossFit junkie, you have earned the right to complain while teetering precariously on the brink of death. I'm quite sure you would handle the hike to the caves with ease. In fact, if you want to give it a go when you're in town during coming weeks, just give me a holler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. McKay, I see a promising career for you in journalism--well done!

    Juli, as a Cross Fit junkie, you are entitled to complaining while on the brink of death. I'm quite sure you would handle a hike to the caves with ease. In fact, if you want to give it a go when you are up here in coming weeks, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's taken me way too long to comment on this, but you did a great job, McKay! My favorite line: "they would either complain too much or die."

    You could be a journalist!

    ReplyDelete