Monday, August 30, 2010

United Spiritual Army Girl's Camp 2010

Last January, when all was dreary outside, I got a call to be the Young Women Camp Director. I must say, I was quite excited. You see, no one can build a camp fire quite like I can. I LOVED girl's camp when I was a youth and I couldn't wait to spread the enthusiasm. After a largely successful fundraiser in March and several hours of planning meetings, girl's camp at Heber Valley finally arrived. It was great!! Here are a few of the highlights:

We put the girls into four groups and assigned a youth camp leader (YCL) over each group. This is also how they got their cabin assignments. Below are the girls in their YCL groups.

Left to right: Chelsee, Shyann, Rebecca, Aubree, Abby, and Emily

Left to right: Shae, Rachael, Jessica, Hillary, Emily, and Kate

Karlie, McKenna, Jessi, Mary, and Veronica

Matti, Hannah, Allie, Jane, Haley, and Sarah

We went to the ropes course on Tuesday and had a great time (even though I ended up on my rump several times during the course--providing much laughter for the girls and leaders). We were all able to ride a giant swing. It was awesome. It definitely was a thrill. Jeremy came up later in the week and went and helped at the ropes course. He was able to ride the giant swing as well.

Here are the best leaders known to man kind. From right to left: Barb, Cheryl, Me, Raylynn, Sherri, Camie, GayeLynne, Elaine, and Jessica. We had one leader (Jill) go home after the first day because she was sick.

Our fabulous hike. We got lost a few times and had to back track. We even accidentally made a full circle at the beginning of our hike and ended up back at our campsite. Oops! Once again, I provided much laughter for the girls and leaders.

When we broke for lunch during our hike, we had a talk about returning to virtue. We tied gold fabric onto our flag to dedicate ourselves in being virtuous. In the picture we are showing a "v" for virtue.

All the girls with our "Aunt Samantha" whom we threw fiery darts at. We then helped her put on the whole Armor of God so the fiery darts wouldn't stick. Once again, the girls are showing the "v" to show their commitment to virtue.

Ah, the lake. What a great time. You know, not once did I or anyone I know fall in the lake when I went to girl's camp as a girl. This year at girl's camp two of our girls' boats flipped along with one other boat. I think our lake time was quite memorable for the missionaries working there. The whole tipping of the boats started with the girls splashing the leaders. Well, the above leaders (Gayelynne and Elaine) decided to retaliate. The girls panicked, causing their boat to flip and they ended up in the water.

Camie and I rescued Aubree, Matti and Chelsee from the water and put them on our boat.

Then the other boat flipped. Another leader boat rescued Emily. They must have had a hard time paddling in--Emily was dragging her foot in the water the whole way back to the dock. (Those paddle boats were hard work!)

And the other lake casualties Kate and Hillary. The lake was quite memorable this year!

Girls camp was great! I am so glad that I was given the opportunity to be a leader this year and go up with these fantastic girls!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful time... and I'm sure the girls loved every minute!

    ReplyDelete