Friday, September 10, 2010

I Feel a Little Wicked!

So, I turned 35 in July. Here's proof:

Me and my handsome boys.

For my birthday, I asked for my present to be a girl's weekend to New York City with my mom, sisters, and sister-in-law to see Wicked. (The trip was already planned, I just was feeling guilty about asking for anything else.) We had a great time!

It started on a Thursday morning when we took a subway ride downtown to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We rode the subway with a bum that was dead asleep. Not only was he dead asleep, but he had a string of snot that went from his nose down to his shirt. Every time the subway came to a stop, the snot would flap in the wind. As my mom began to dry heave, the man adjusted and the snot then when from his nose, and looped up and stuck to his ear. This sent us all into a state of laughter (above). Things only got better from there.

We had a great ride on the ferry over to the Statue of Liberty.

My sisters, sister-in-law and I inside the statue of liberty. They had all sorts of great stuff to look at in there. One of them being a replica of Lady Liberty's torch.

Here is a replica of her foot. That is one big toe!

Now, I exercise. I consider myself to be in fairly good shape. But these stairs were a killer! We only had tickets to be able to go as high as the pedestal and man it was a hike.

But the views of the city were amazing.

We learned about the history of immigration on Ellis Island. I must say, the building on Ellis Island was very beautiful. It is amazing to think of how many people came through here on their way to the American Dream.

Now, being a mom of four boys, I really appreciate Legos. Here is Rockefeller Center built out of Legos. I had to take a picture so I could show my boys.

While walking around the city, we saw a commercial being filmed for an Australian grocery store. My mom was very anxious to participate. Here she is doing her spot.

I loved the water bottles they had in the city. "New York Spring Water. It's clean, it's natural, we promise." I giggled every time I had a drink.

We took a small stroll through Central Park. I wondered about all the films that I have seen that take place in Central Park: You've Got Mail and Enchanted were a couple.

Time Square. The New Year ball that drops along with what year it is is there all year round. I didn't know that until this trip.

Finally! What I came to the city to see and do! I wanted to see Wicked so badly. I was very excited and very giddy when the time finally arrived. Here I am with my sister--in-law, Debra, outside of the theater. We were having a little fun before the show.

Sitting the theater before the show started. My sister Caprice was lecturing me about not taking photos in the theater while everyone else turned and smiled. I didn't care. I was just so happy to be there!

The dragon and map of the Land of Oz. I loved the show and couldn't wait to get home and listen to the sound track over and over again. It was everything I thought it would be and more!


As an extra bonus, we went and saw Mama Mia the last day we were in the city. I can't say much for the plot, and the show had a lot of spice, but the music was great and I loved the end--I felt like I was at a concert standing up and singing along. I love ABBA's music.
So there is my birthday present/girl's weekend all summed up. We all had a great time and I hope that I will be able to have another great weekend with my mom, sisters and sister-in-law in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment