Monday, March 5, 2012

Puppet Shows 2012

It was puppet show time again last month. Only this year, it leaked into March. If you didn't know, February is Dental Health Awareness Month. The Provo District of the Utah Dental Alliance puts on puppet shows throughout the month at elementary schools all over the valley. This is my fourth year doing the puppet show and did six shows this year at: Odyssey Charter School, Freedom Elementary, Alpine Elementary, Traverse Mountain, Renaissance Charter School, and Meadow Elementary.
I mostly played the first three puppets on the left above: Dr. Fossilrock (a paleontologist), Dr. Molar (the dentist) and Billy the Cavity. But I also played Dudley (the green dinosaur) this year. I meant to take my camera every time I went to a show, but constantly forgot until today, my last show.

Today we had to do our show in an unconventional manner. Usually we are up on a stage in the gym standing in front of a black curtain so we blend into the background more (that is why we were black) and the puppets are the main focus. But today we did it in the library. It was different, but it worked out. Sharon Weist (on the far right) is in charge of the shows each year and does a fantastic job. She has been doing this for about 15 years! In fact, I remember when I was doing my student teaching, they came to my school and did the puppet show.
The puppets teach the kids all about taking good care of your teeth and what happens when you don't. So as Dr. Molar would tell you: Make sure you brush your teeth at least two times a day and be sure to floss at least once a day. Also, be sure to visit your dentist twice each year!

2 comments:

  1. How interesting. . .not just that you are a puppeteer and can take on the persona of so many different characters, but also that we have another friend in common; Sharon is a friend and former stake member. We now bump into each other regularly at Gold's Gym and the Orem Rec Center. Small world. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. . .I ran into Sharon today at the gym. . .we both agree we have good taste in friends. You are adored!

    ReplyDelete