Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Garden of my Own

Four years this year have we been in our new house.  All four years I have taken the opportunity to harvest my neighbors' gardens.  I was really looking forward to have my own garden space and finishing off the south side of our backyard.  A couple of weeks before Mother's Day I asked Jeremy if he had already gotten my gift.  He laughed and said, "You think way too much of me!"  I told him I wanted a garden to plant this year.  Finishing off the side yard was already on our "to do" list, but I wanted to plant this year.  Jeremy wasted no time.  He called his nephew and made arrangements for him to build us garden boxes.  While they were being built, Jeremy trenched and hooked up the irrigation system to be ready for the boxes.  He and the boys leveled the area, place the boxes and filled them with dirt.  Then the boys helped Jeremy load sand to be able to place the flagstone and then also placed the crushed granite path.  It turned out beautiful!



They had most of the garden done before Mother's Day--enough for me to plant some corn, carrots, peas, beans, raspberries, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, four types of peppers, tomatoes and onions. It is going to be a busy harvest!  It has been a wonderful gift that I will enjoy for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment