Saturday, September 5, 2009

Grandma's House


Jeremy's grandma has been living in an assisted living center for the last couple of years. And Grandpa White died a few years ago. So the time has come to sell Grandma and Grandpa White's house. We went up last weekend for one final look around and to reflect on memories of the old house:
  1. Grandma and Grandpa White coming out to the car to say good-bye and waving the sign for "I love you" as we drove away. (Jeremy's grandparents are deaf.)
  2. Grandpa's all to powerful hugs that would just about knock the wind out of you.
  3. Grandma giving her things to you if you complimented them. "If you like it, you can have it."
  4. Grandma and all her many cacti.
  5. Jeremy's family had many Christmas parties at the house. (I still marvel at how they all fit in that tiny house.) One year, Jeremy and his brother received Stomper Trucks for Christmas and spent the rest of the party playing with their trucks on the carpet.
  6. The HUGE teletype that grandma and grandpa had for phone communications.
  7. Grandpa teaching me signs that were naughty--he told me how to tell Grandma "You're crazy" but didn't tell me what it meant until after I had already shown the sign to grandma.
I feel privileged to have known and still know such wonderful people. They were great examples of hard work, love of the gospel and love of family. I know my family and I are better because of them. We love you Great Grandma and Grandpa White!

1 comment:

  1. Change is hard... I love reading the memories you have with them and the house. Thanks for sharing it all with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete