Friday, April 22, 2011

The Petition

There are some changes being made at my boys' school next year that McKay doesn't approve of. They are moving from the traditional extended day model to a modified extended day model. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but McKay is against any change. He doesn't like that they are losing a long time favorite PE teacher, losing separate science and social study teachers, no computers and less time in PE, art, and music. He wrote a petition one night (without my knowledge) and took it to school. He had as many 3-6 grade students sign it as were willing so that he could give it to the principal. He felt that the voice of the students was not being heard. The principal saw McKay's petition one lunch hour while kids were signing it and told McKay that when he was finished collecting signatures to come and see her in her office. He has turned in the petition, but has yet been invited to her office (much to my relief--I think she has caught wind that we are moving).

McKay collected hundreds of signatures from the kids at his school.

His reasons why he is against the change were all mapped out on the petition.

Whether or not his petition makes any difference, I am proud of him for making a stand for how he feels about something important and then doing something about it.

UPDATE: When I went to pick up the boys from school today, McKay was in the office visiting with the principal about his petition. I took a peek into the office and watched McKay sweat it out. The principal was very kind and told McKay that she will go and visit all the classes to make sure that she hears all the concerns of the students. Then she shook his hand. (Phew!)

1 comment:

  1. Love it--a boy after my own heart. When I was in 3rd grade (remember this was the '60s), I held a spontaneous protest and convinced my fellow 9-year olds to go ON STRIKE! I don't know what demon possessed me because that was truly out of character then and since. Maybe McKay and I both have some pent-up political statement needing to be expressed. No harm, no foul.

    ReplyDelete